Wednesday, September 10, 2014

G2, Gromsquared, Remi Leigh Harmon

September 7th 12:32 AM, the wifester walks into the room in which she hasn't slept in at all over the past three months and says, "we're having a baby".  Up we were.  We didn't actually leave to the hospital until 5:41, as she wanted to labor as much as possible at home.  Packed my bag, grabbed the wifes bag, groms bag, car seat, and then grabbed the gromlin out of bed to take her to the grandparents house until baby came.  I may have driven pretty quickly to the hospital, no way was I about to catchers mitt a baby on the side of the road. I may have been over reacting, but I have a very fragile memory and scar easily.  Anyway, we arrived at the hospital just before seven AM, parked on the 4th level, took the stairs of course, and went to the area where they check.  I will save all the numbers and stuff, but lets just say the wifester wasn't quite ready.

 Off for the first walking session, keep in mind the chicka was having contractions every three to four minutes at this point, lasting about 1 minute each.  For the following three hours we walked halls,  the round about out front of the hospital, and the stairs to the landing pad.  Well Jackie and I didn't walk those stairs, they looked hard, and I was tired, I was only 6 cups of coffee in at this point, so energy was low, ha.  Poor wifester, it was such an ordeal.  We went and got checked again and she had made very little progress.  The decision was made to go walking some more, due to the fact that they won't admit a laboring women until the reach a five.  So more walking.  This time, contractions were coming about every minute to minute and a half, and were ruthless.  45 minutes later we were getting admitted.  six hours later (17.5 hours total), a birthing ball, a bath, a much of hip and back pushing, the wife was spent.  She had been up fighting for so long and the contractions were so hard, she couldn't fight the fight any longer. She was falling asleep, passing out is more appropriate, between contractions.  It was excruciating to just watch someone that I love go through that.  She looked over at me and said "Im done."  Epidural time.  She had wanted to have this grom the same way we had grom numero uno, all natural, but it just wasn't in the cards.

The anesthestialogist came in and did her job.  She had the personality of a rock, like a rock under water, cold water.  She did here job.  It was about five or six more noticeable contractions, and then for some reason everyone left the room.  I can't quite remember why everyone left, but they did and it was just Dev and I.  I was sitting so I could watch the heart beat and contraction monitor and I could see this new life enter her face.  She lighted up and was smiling.  We sat and talked for about fifteen minutes when her most awesome mid wife came back into the room.  Heather the mid wife, you deserve your own post, but just know we think the world of you.  She went to check the wife one last time and in doing so, halted very quickly and said, we're having a baby!  That's right, the epidural was exactly what was needed.  She had been fighting her own body, and just needed to relax and let it happen.  Finally!

6:27 PM, Remi Leigh Harmon entered this world.  I was a bit more aware during this birth unlike Hadleys.  I was way anxious for number one, but for number two a bit more ready I guess.  I still didn't look downstairs, (I scar easy).  but as soon as she came, she went to the corner with the pediatric team to ensure she had nothing down in her lungs, she then let out the scream we were all waiting for and I was right there to grab her.  They handed her to me to give to momma, holy shit, what an amazing experience. I was so overwhelmed, yeah I cried.

The wife is absolutely amazing.  She fought so hard and so long, (that's what she said), but in the end the result that we wanted was here.  The wifes willpower and determination never ceases to amaze me.  To see her go through what she went through without any assistance is something that I will take with me and draw from on days where I think Im being a sissy.

I'm completely smitten.  I love being a dad to little girls.  I love them so damn much.

No comments: