Saturday, August 30, 2014

Worlds Trip

I guess its time I got around to writing this.  Holland was pretty cool, for what we got to see of it.  Pretty much Amsterdam, and Rotterdam.  We saw some windmills of course, and then we saw a ton of graffiti.  As in, if there was a canvas to be painted with Graffiti, it had art on it.  I like graffiti, but dang.  The food was european, so you know, runny eggs, and small coffee.  I went to get a to go cup of coffee one morning and they didn't have any, so they just gave me the mini coffee cup to take with me and told me to bring it back.  I lost it, go figure.

This worlds trip was going to be a different one for me.  Instead of traveling by myself, I was traveling with the USA team and staff.  I was asked to be a coach for the Challenge staff, which is a great opportunity and one that I was really looking forward to.  I was also racing, so to say that I was busy, is an understatement.  I guess I really never understood how hard the coaches work when they are at the worlds.  I was wrong.  These guys work 16-18 hour days, non stop, running around, herding kids, getting the logistics down, and taking care of the smallest of details.  I definitely appreciate what they have done for me in the past.
So to racing.  It was awesome.  I felt great on both bikes.  I went into this worlds more confident than years past. My coach had me ready mentally, and of course physically.  As my girls dropped me off at the air port my wifester looked at me and said "I have a good feeling about it this year".  That was all I needed to hear to calm the nerves and look forward the journey ahead.  Before I get too far, I want to say that I enjoyed the journey much more this go around.  I took everything day to day and had so many victories along the way.  Not just on the bike, but in all aspects, training, life, work, family, everything.  It has been so awesome.



So 20" was going well for the most part.  I had won all qualifiers, and my 1/8th final.  Sitting in a good spot in my 1/4 final a rider behind me lawn darted straight into my back sending me over the bars and ending the run for that bike.  I was a little bummed but as I started to leave the track I realized my pants were shredded and actually started to fall off.  I just started laughing and told myself its just a bike race.
Cruiser.  This was actually the first time that I had even ridden my new cruiser.  I did one 90' sprint on it right after I built it up, and then packed it into the travel bag.  I felt great on the cruiser and won every lap going into the main.  Holy shit I made the main!  haha, felt so good to finally be on the gate for the main, and especially having first gate pick.  I knew I would be racing Kelvin Batey from Ireland and he normally races elite, so I knew which gate he was going to pick and intentionally picked the gate directly to his outside.  I didn't want him to cut me off, so I picked 4 and he picked 3. Gate went down and I snapped him.  I started to move over on him, but didn't finish moving all the way over and made a slight mistake on the triple going into turn one.  I got pushed high and came out in 4th.  I battle a bit for 3rd, but ended up 4th.  4th in the world doesn't suck.  So pumped.

Coaching.  Wow.  what an incredible experience.  For the morning session I was put in charge of the 7 and 8 year olds.  They were so awesome, and did great.  we put 3 riders in the main event for the 8 year old boys.  So proud of them.  The afternoon session I would get my 15-16 year olds.  I have been working with this age all year at the training center in Chula Vista, so it only made sense that I was over these riders.  What an incredible group of riders.  Some of the riders had some bad luck and didn't make it to the mains, while others did.  One of my riders, Bubba G had terrible luck in his first and second rounds, going into the third round with 11 points, meaning he would have to win his third round to advance.  I got to him after second round to find him hysterical.  He was defeated, and down, and I knew we had to correct the problem.  I took him outside for a good 15 minutes, to get some air, get rid of the negativity, and reset.  He did just that.  He went on to not lose a single lap after that, and eventually becoming the world champion in 15 boys!  I just got goosebumps writing that.  I was so nervous for my riders that I couldn't even go in the stadium to watch.  I just waited at the finish line.  As Bubba crossed I was freaking out, he zipped past me, to a skid, turned around and opened his arms.  I ran straight to him and hugged the shit out of him.  Kelsey Van Ogle, known to me as KVO had a little bad luck, but made the main.  Watch for this girl to shred it up next year in Junior women.  My boy Ryan Pettigrew, petty, killed it and ended up third.  Huge for him and he is stepping it up with his training and commitment.  Im calling this boy for the upset in 2016 and making the olympic team
After the challenge I got to work with the juniors and elites.  I was in charge of the girls and they all killed it.  My boy Seanny G, who you would consider my little brother, did amazing.  Especially considering that he had broken his wrist four weeks prior and had surgery three weeks leading into it. He killed his mottos, and going into the main, I was confident that he could do it.  Sean has amazing efficiency on a bicycle and he is one of the smallest dudes on the gate.  In the main down the first straight he got bumped by a giant from Norway but didn't falter at all.  He popped out in second and was pulling the leader the whole track.  With a 26 second track he just didn't have the time, but he finished 2nd, so freaking awesome!  Im damn proud of sean on and off the track.

9 days in Europe is a long time to be away from my girls.  I can't even begin to tell you how much their support means to me.  The FaceTime, the notes, the shirts, the messages, its all just so incredible and without them this would mean nothing.  It was great to come home and have my from hug the the hell out of me.  So amazing.

To all my friends and family, and supporters that sent the countless messages, texts, pics, tweets, posts, you guys are awesome.  Im happy with everything, but then again I was happy before.  If you're not happy without it, you won't be happy with it.

Love you all, thank you so much for making this experience a reality!












 This bottom left photo sums it all up.

No comments: