Monday, October 10, 2011

dream a little dream

I grew up in a town that has roughly 1600 people in it. My address said Price, but the town I grew up in mainly was Wellington, Utah. As a little fella my source for mainstream media was the local gas station called Single Stop. Whether it was movies, or magazines, this was the main spot where I found my sources to the outside world, this is also where my dreams began to become a BMX racer.

I would buy any and all BMX magazines that they carried, which usually consisted of SNAP and BMX plus. I would then go home, read each magazine cover to cover, and then re read them cover to cover. When I felt like I got what I needed out of each magazine, I would then re scan the mag and pull out the pictures that I liked the most. I would then plaster the walls of my room, and the walls of the garage (my bike shop ha!), with any page or poster from the said magazines. I would look at these pictures and imagine myself as a pro BMXer, traveling the world, getting paid to ride a bike, and have all the cool uniforms and stuff. I started racing 18 years ago, and throughout that time my love for magazines hasnt went away, and I guess my love for bikes hasnt as well.

Fast forward to October 2011. I took some time off of the bike between fall of 2003 and the winter of 2008. Got back on a bike and it has been a hell of a ride since. I re classified back to amateur, and just ride for fun. I have been blessed with some great opportunities, and sponsors and am glad to be doing what Im doing. So yesterday I picked up a copy of the latest issue of BMX Plus, who knows, maybe I will find a new photo to put on my garage wall. Then there it was, page 76, smack dab in the middle I am staring at a picture of myself. I was thrilled to say the least. Who would have thought that a little unknown kid from Wellington Utah would make a global publication? Dreams do come true.
. Maybe one day when the grom is older she will see these and say "dad, you used to be cool. What happened?" hahahaha, I will be able to look at her and say "its better to be a has been than a never was."

3 comments:

Jonas and Devin said...

A) I am proud. B) Wish they paid you for your picture. C) You started racing again in the Winter of 2007. Remember? You would drive up to race not to see your wife? I remember.

Unknown said...

pretty pretty prettty preeetttttyyy damn cool..

nickdawg said...

I recall the first time I got a pic in a mag, It wasnt on a race bike though cuz apparently they dont take pictures of the mid pack dudes? Insanity thats there the battles go down, sure anyone can holeshot and lead a lap but the real guys roll the dice and get $hitty gates and make things exciting. None the less I recall my first pic and Ive been lucky enough to have Ben@Plus! hook me up once too. Its a good feeling and now I keep a solid collection of all the mags Ive been in. Its a small collection but they are mint LOL